...to the official AIDPSC website.Please have a look around and enjoy as we count down to the next Australian Championship to be held at Haileybury College 23 - 25 September 2019.
What is AIDPSC?
The Australian Individual Debating and Public Speaking Championships (AIDPSC) is an annual oratorical event that has been modelled on the World Individual Debating and Public Speaking Championships (WIDPSC) which is held annually around the world. The Championship is an innovative five day event which requires students to interact and collaborate with like-minded peers from diverse and different schools, cultural backgrounds and countries. Each participant must compete in four different events:
· Impromptu Speaking
· Persuasive or After Dinner Speaking
· Interpretive Reading.
In the AIDPSC each competitor progresses through two rounds of competition, then high-scoring speakers in each event proceed to the final round which will determine the winner in each event. Scores in the regular rounds will determine the overall ranking of individual competitors.
Each year the AIDPSC uses this overall ranking to select the Australian contingent who will represent their country and their school at the WIDPSC each year.
The AIDPSC is a unique Australian competition for many reasons:
· Students will not be debating in their own school team.
· Each debating team will consist of two debaters who have been randomly paired. The debaters will then have the challenging task of developing a coherent presentation in a short time, while working with a partner they have just met. The challenging environment provides an avenue for individual students not only to practise and test their oratorical skills but to value the importance of the art of expression. In the Twenty-First Century the ability to communicate and gain recognition and respect for our ideas and opinions is vitally important.
· Furthermore, during this Tournament, each event will take place in front of three or four adjudicators drawn from the teachers who will accompany the students. At the end of the tournament, the students will receive their adjudication sheets with comments attached.
· Apart from testing the students’ debating skills, they still have to prove themselves in three other oratorical domains.
· It is a tournament that will unfold over the course of three days, which will give the students an opportunity to network with many students from a variety of schools from across the nation.
· Each school must send an accompanying teacher with their team as the teachers attending AIDPSC will be expected to adjudicate the various events during the tournament.